Are you still in the mood for losing weight. Did you keep your resolution to move around more to lose weight the natural way.
Our bodies are supposed to move, we were designed to move, not to sit all day at the computer gaining weight and losing our vision. If you want to maintain your weight or want natural weight loss, you will need to speed up your metabolism, especially if you are in your forties and older.
Studies show that simply moving more during the day will help you burn calories, lose weight, and be healthier.
Did you know that if you get up from your seat during the day more often you can burn more than 300 calories, which can help you lose more than 30 pounds a year? Even simply ironing or washing your car will help you burn around 80 calories in 30 min.
Here are some great ideas, some of simple steps, from the government’s Small Steps campaign (www.smallsteps.gov) for you to start moving towards a healthier you one step at a time. Pick 6-7 you think you can do right now and let us start moving:
- Join an exercise group.
- Do yard work.
- Work around the house.
- Take the dog to the park.
- Wash the car by hand.
- Trot when running errands.
- Take the wheels off your luggage.
- Dance to music.
- Take stairs instead of the escalator.
- Carry your groceries instead of pushing a cart.
- Walk briskly through the mall and shop ’til you drop … pounds.
- Do sit-ups in front of the TV.
- Bicycle to the store instead of driving.
- Ask a friend to exercise with you.
- Exercise with a video if the weather is bad.
- Bike to the barbershop or beauty salon instead of driving.
- If you find it difficult to be active after work, try it before work.
- Take a walk or do desk exercises instead of a cigarette or coffee break.
- Take small trips on foot to get your body moving.
- Play with your kids 30 minutes a day.
- Keep a pair of comfortable walking or running shoes in your car and office.
- Choose activities you enjoy & you’ll be more likely to stick with them.
- Stretch before bed to give you more energy when you wake.
- Explore new physical activities.
- Stay active in winter. Play with your kids.
- You can break up your physical activity into 10-15 minute sessions throughout the day—it’s the daily total that matters. Aim for at least 30 minutes for adults, 60 minutes for children.
- Be active–Walk the dog, don’t just watch the dog walk.
- Walk to work.
- Walk during lunch hour.
- Replace Sunday drive with Sunday walk. Go for a half-hour walk instead of watching TV.
- Make a Saturday morning walk a group habit.
- Walk briskly in the mall.
- Park farther from destination and walk.
- Walk instead of sitting around. Take your dog on longer walks.
- Walk to a co-worker’s desk instead of emailing or calling them.
- When walking, go up the hills instead of around them.
So let us start moving instead of sitting if we want to feel and look fabulous, shall we?
P.S. Listen to my interview with Carole Carson, author of “From Fat to Fit to get more tips and ideas on ho to be fit and healthy at any age.
Breathe,smile and be happy.
© Irina Wardas, HHC
Women’s Holistic Health, Nutrition Coach and Relationship Expert